Team Logo Prototypes

Howdy again!

This post has less to do with running and more to do with presentation, but I have other posts in the works, including my review of the Adidas miCoach Pacer, and a sort of dedication post to a friend of mine who passed away from lung cancer several years ago this month.

But right now, I have this.

As I have noted in the sidebar, we're running for Team LIVESTRONG in association with SupportSupernatural.com (click on siggie at end of post). The question of, 'why not one or the other' would not be off base at all. So, why don't I just ask it and answer it at the same time.

Team LIVESTRONG is a group of athletes running, biking, or swimming for a cause. Everyone knows about the Lance Armstrong Foundation and what it stands for, the work it's doing to support cancer patients and research in the field. I sometimes hesitate to call myself an athlete. Heck, I sometimes hesitate to call myself a runner, but I run, and I train, and there's a lot of motivation and support that comes from allying myself with other athletes. And it's a cause I can really get behind.

SupportSupernatural.com stands for everything we love about the show that brought Tracer and I together, and about the fandom we've been in for over five years. That's a huge part of our lives, and we want to give something positive back. We could very well start out own organization, but the ladies at SupportSupernatural.com are already doing a great job, and we're already competing against our bodies and our schedules to train for and run the race. Can't we all just get along? And while the official charity for SupportSupernatural.com is A Dog's Life, which we also highly approve of and support, there isn't anyone involved with the show who wasn't touched by the loss of Kim Manners last year. And judging by the number of people who reposted the cancer awareness meme on LiveJournal when it made the rounds last month, it's a cause we can all get behind.

In talking with Tom Whiteside, our contact with the Lance Armstrong Foundation, I asked him if it was okay that we wanted to bring our fandom along for the journey, and he said it was more than okay to promote as many causes as we wanted to. However, we really don't want to have to manage more than one fundraising site, so it would be best for us if we can tie our causes together.

Hence, we're running for cancer research, in general, and fundraising through Team LIVESTRONG in honor Kim Manners and with the help and support of SupportSupernatural.com.

I went to SupportSupernatural's Cafe Press store (linked on their site, and soon to be linked on this one) in search of something to wear that would show our fandom support. The problem is, we'll be running the race in a Team LIVESTRONG jersey/shirt, and Cafe Press doesn't have any shorts or pants suitable for running or that have the logos on them.

I mentioned to the ladies that we really loved this logo:

original


And I added the dilemma about not having it on anything wearable other than tops. I asked if they would allow use of the image for us to design our own transferable decals, and they agreed. Of course, we also supported A Dog's Life by purchasing several items from the store, and I plan to do so again before the race.

Second dilemma: Most of our running tights are dark-colored, and printers don't have white ink, so I wasn't sure we could use the logo without changing the color scheme a little. Once again, they were nice enough to agree.

So, I played around a little with the colors, keeping in mind that I think the LIVESTRONG jerseys are yellow. Here are the first prototypes. I don't know whether I should add more color or keep it basic. Tracer's on vacation, so she'll have input. Once I get a few final choices, I might even put up a poll. But anyway, here's what I got started (they're smaller than actual size in the interest of blog overflow):

blue uncropped
Grey/blue

blue cropped
Grey/blue with straight edges

Photobucket
Yellow to match the LIVESTRONG colors

yellow text
Possible text placement, not sure text is necessary


Again, these are not final designs, just prototypes.I don't want to change the original too much except to make it visible on different backgrounds. Thanks again to Heather and Lindsay at SupportSupernatural.com for the help and generosity in helping us get our fandom the positive recognition it deserves.

Until the next bend in the road. Watch out for plot holes.

--Tracy





Photobucket

0 comments: